Blog Comments Blog Archives About Me Radio Gems The Trailer Links Contact

March 2011 Archives

« February 2011 | | April 2011 »

Page 3 of 4

Cotton Pickin' Minute

March 13, 2011 @ 17:09

Believe me, I'm not big on Michael Ignatieff or the Liberal Party of Canada, but when it comes to defending someone against over the top and ridiculous political correctness I can befriend anyone.

That's why I'm here to defend Ignatieff against his so-called racial slur in Ottawa last week. When pounding away at the Conservatives he used the phrase "cotton pickin' minute." This is such a glorious example of political correctness gone wild.

Conservative Senator Don Meridith issued a statement denouncing Ignatieff's use of the phrase.

"The reference hails back to a time when slavery was acceptable and an entire group of people were held to be lesser than others because of the colour of their skin."

What a heapin' steamin' pile of crap. And the reason it is, is very simple. Not all people who picked cotton in the American south were black. As a matter of fact it is well documented that many people, black and white picked cotton as a means of survival through the 17th and 18th centuries, and that's where the phrase started.

The job was so harsh and difficult, for all races, the term became a gentleman's substitute for fuck, shit and c&*#.

During the early 20th century cotton pickin' minute referred to the speed at which one picked cotton and it was used as a measurement of payment, and from what I've gathered over the years, slaves didn't get paid - that's what made them slaves.

And yes I know, one might argue that generally speaking, based selective history, cotton pickin' could be wrestled into being a racist phrase, but I thought one of the main pillars of political correctness was to "not" generalize.

What a goddamn waste of time.

Category: Stuff

Permalink Discuss

Goohead - Time Change

March 13, 2011 @ 11:14

The very first Goohead ever. April 1987.

Category: Stuff

Permalink Discuss

Questions

March 13, 2011 @ 10:26

I realize debating religion is a quick road to nowhere, but at times like these I can't help but ask the obvious question.

If God is so good, if God is so great why are there thousands of people buried in mud and debris in Japan right now?

Does he have no mercy? If he's in control of the universe, why didn't he back off a little with the tsunami?

I think it's a legitimate question from someone who has never bought into the God thing and is constantly stupefied by the hypocrisy and evilness of religion.

And I mean all religions.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't a God because I don't have any proof, which is exactly the same amount of proof that a true believer has.

It always comes back to this for me. If there is a God and he's so great and caring and wonderful I will not be judged on my faith, I will be judged on my behaviour.

Thing is, if there is a God I really have to question his behaviour at times.

And please..... don't tell me the devil makes Him do it.

Category: Stuff

Permalink Discuss

Instant Einsteins

March 13, 2011 @ 09:54

The Zdeno Chara / Max Pacioretty incident might go down as the most amazing event in the history of the world.

How many other world events have dramatically increased the intelligence of so many?

Name me one other event that turned so many average men into instant psychiatrists, psychologists, psychics, thought analysis experts and behaviour specialists.

I'm dumbfounded by the number of people who've contributed to this blog over the past few days who can say in all confidence and with the utmost conviction that they knew exactly what was going through Zdeno Chara's mind during the 1.8 seconds it took for Max Pacioretty to kiss the stanchion.

In some ways I feel stupid. All these other people have become instant brainiacs but I haven't. All these other people have been instantly blessed with so much knowledge, and I've been left behind.

I've looked at the video over and over and over again and I can't catch the magic. Still, all I see is a questionable interference penalty and an unfortunate accident.

Meanwhile, good on Don Cherry for calling out Air Canada during Coach's Corner last night. I hope it doesn't take anyone too long to figure out why Air Canada as a business is such a freakin' disaster.

When VP of Communications Denis Vandal threatens to end its association with the NHL because of the Chara hit, you can appreciate how fucked up they are. Especially when you consider Air Canada's head office is in Montreal and Vandal is known for tweeting up to the minute Hab scores.

It was a knee jerk, emotional, homer decision which makes me wonder if I want these people to be responsible for me when I'm 38 thouand feet in the air.

Instead of worrying about Zdeno Chara, Vandal should worry about his airline's shitty service and outrageously unhappy employees.

Category: Sports

Permalink Discuss

David Marsden - Hall Of Famer

March 12, 2011 @ 10:20

Yes, it was a grand time yesterday as we gathered for the Canadian Music Awards at the Royal York.

Part of the award ceremony was the induction of my first Program Director into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. David Marsden was there in all his wonderful glory to accept an award that was probably long over due.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland several years ago.

I've written a few things about Marsden over the years so I won't go on about what a great guy he is, and how much fun it was to work under him at the "Spirit" oh so many years ago.

What I will do is tell you how enjoyable it was yesterday to see him on the stage and listen to his heart warming speech while sitting amongst some of my favourite people on earth.

Most radio wanks look back upon their careers with warm and fuzzy memories, even the bad times somehow become good so many years later. It's not unique.

But I can honestly say what we had going at CFNY through the 80's was very unique and Marsden was the architect. There were really no boundaries when it came to creativity and taking chances and the result was some fantastic radio.

I remember back in the 80's talking to other sportscasters from CHUM and CFTR and CKEY and realizing how fortunate I was to be working under Marsden. Most of the other guys at the other stations were handcuffed and controlled.

I wasn't, far from it.

Those other stations may have had higher profiles and bigger ratings, but I know for a fact they weren't having as much fun as we were.

It was a family at CFNY and what brought us together was not only the David and Goliath thing, it was being parked out in Brampton and all living within minutes of each other.

We not only worked together, we played together, we grew together and the memories are endless.

Marsden, Don Berns, Earl Jive, Darren Wasylyk, Earl Veale, Leslie Cross, Alan Cross, Geets Romo, Steve McAuley, Mary Curtis, Maureen Bulley, Liz Janik and Ivar Hamilton. They were all in the same room yesterday and it felt good.

And to top it all off, Humble Howard was the MC for the afternoon and not only did he do a great job, it all seemed so fitting.

We were there to celebrate the Marsden era but Humble represented the following era, the 90's era, and it was just as much fun.

We need another re-union.

Category: Friends | Radio

Permalink Discuss

And Furthermore - Shut Up Hab Fans

March 12, 2011 @ 08:56

Thanks everyone for your fabulous response to "Shut-up Hab Fans." Not only does it display the passion we Canknuckleheads have for hockey, it also displays what a great country we live in.

When a hockey hit is the biggest issue across the land, you know you live in freakin' paradise.

But beyond that, lets get a grip on this. As expected this has become somewhat of a partisan issue. If you love the Habs, as creepy as that is, you think Chara should hang by the neck until he is dead. If you don't like the Habs, then there was nothing wrong with what happened.

I can see how this is polarizing. But let's cut through the bullshit and see it for what it was, it was an interference penalty that went terribly wrong. End of story.

Some of the stuff that has been written on CanadianThinker is mind blowing, especially the offerings from Freeway Frank who compares it to the Dave Winfield / seagull incident from a couple of decades ago. You know, back around the last time the Habs won the Cup. So long ago it's now irrelevant.

The Montreal Police investigation of the Chara hit is ridiculous, nothing but an emotional over-reaction from a city that's in a snit because there are now players in the league who weren't born the last time the Habs hoisted Stanley.

To compare Winfield and Chara is stupid because I don't think there's anyone in Toronto thinks that Winfield should have been charged. Yes, it was stupid, just like the current investigation in Montreal.

Some take swipes at Toronto using the "army snow clearing" incident that took place several years ago. I always laugh at this one, because it was a good idea. It's important to keep Canada's economic engine revving and the military is there to protect the country. Not only that, but it meant the tens of thousands of Montrealers who have defected to Toronto were able to get to their jobs that day.

The other comparison that has been thrown up is the Doug Gilmour / Wayne Gretzky incident from ancient times, which incidentally (1993) is the last time the Habs won a Cup.

This only underlines the Chara story. Yes, Leafs fans were emotional at the time, and yes they over-reacted, but at least that was an actual penalty that went unpunished. Chara got the penalty he deserved and then some.

Believe me, there's part of me that wishes the NHL has blown this one because I disagree with a lot of what they do, but what was given Chara this week was completely adequate.

When Max Pacioretty decided to take the inside at that particular moment, what did he expect Chara to do, let him skate by?

Chara did what any defenseman would instinctively do but unfortunately the result was disastrous.

Don't blame Chara, blame the stanchion.

Category: Sports

Permalink Discuss

Lumby Weighs In

March 12, 2011 @ 08:55

Meanwhile, to be fair I thought I would highlight the reaction from broadcaster and voice-actor Jeff Lumby.

Lumby grew up in Saskatchewan, but despite that being Leaf territory he somehow became a Hab fan.

"Freddie, Freddie, Freddie. Anyone who thinks this hit was an accident has never laced up a pair of skates. Not only was it intentional, IT WAS A HEAD SHOT!!!! Check out the elbow to the back of the HEAD, subsequently driving his HEAD into the stanchion. Chara should be gone for the season.
Can you imagine the outcry if little Darcy Smucker would have been ridden into the stanchion? Please. Well, if you don't believe Freeway and me, at least believe Henrik Sedin and Joe Thornton. This from the Gazette."

Habs coach hopes for debate on NHL discipline.

Category: Sports

Permalink Discuss

A Radio Guy's Worst Nightmare

March 12, 2011 @ 08:55

Marco Campagna has trouble with his computer and doesn't realize he's on air on CKGM Team 990 in Montreal on March 10, 2011.... poor bastard!

Category: Radio

Permalink Discuss

Comments We Like - Lawrence Martin

March 10, 2011 @ 07:54

This is a great column because it capsulizes the wrongdoings, in some cases alleged, of the Harper Government and allows Canadians to compare and choose as we move towards an election.

On the road to the Harper Government's tipping point.

Category: Politics

Permalink Discuss

Shut Up Hab Fans

March 9, 2011 @ 18:34

Like most people I'm often left scratching my head when it comes to disciplinary rulings by the National Hockey League, but today I'm convinced they got it right.

Zdeno Chara will not be suspended for last nights hit on Montreal's Max Pacioretty.

If the Chara hit did anything it highlighted why Hab fans are so bloody aggravating.

If there was anything wrong with the incident it was the ten minute misconduct that was given to Chara along with his interference penalty. He didn't deserve it.

This was nothing more than an unfortunate accident. There's no doubt that Chara committed interference, but if anybody thinks he purposely drove Pacioretty into the stanchion to deliberately hurt him is out of their mind.

Then again, most Hab fans are out of their minds.

Zdeno Chara has no history of being dirty and he's never been the subject of supplemental discipline over his 13 year career.

If the same play had taken place anywhere else along the boards it would have nothing more than a routine hockey play with a minor infraction.

NHL Senior Vice President Mike Murphy hit the nail on the head when he released this statement. "I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous."

Of course Hab fans aren't buyin' it. Led by my freakish friend Freeway Frank, you'd think Chara was the dirtiest prick whoever laced on a pair of skates. They actually think it was a case of premeditated precision timing.

Chara's good, but he ain't that good.

Category: Sports