Blog Comments Blog Archives About Me Radio Gems The Trailer Links Contact

March 2011 Archives

« February 2011 | | April 2011 »

Page 2 of 4

Biker Season

March 25, 2011 @ 08:13

My good friend Donny Patterson, whom I love dearly, wrote a posting on his facebook this week pleading with motorists to prepare for the motorcycle season.

Here's what it said

LOOK TWICE--SAVE A LIFE, MOTORCYCLES ARE EVERYWHERE!! Repost this to your status to remind all of your family/friends that it is motorcycle season, and taking a few extra seconds to take a second look will save lives of our loved ones. Give them their fair share of the roadway!!!!!!!! PLEASE REPOST, EVEN IF YOU AREN'T A RIDER - YOU KNOW SOMEONE THAT IS.

I appreciate the spirit of this plea, but I'd like to talk about the other side because it's definitely a two way street.

I tend to group cyclists and motorcyclists together when it comes to road behaviour, and although motorcyclist aren't quite as bad, they too need to think about a few things before pulling on the leathers and jumping on their hogs.

If you want to respect from cars, act like cars. If you want all the consideration that cars get, then you too must abide by the same rules.

That means lining up for a right turn like a car. Don't cruise up on the inside. Cyclists are great for this.

If it's a two lane road, don't make it three by squirming up the middle, and then get mad if someone opens their driver's door.

If you're on the highway and there's grid lock, be patient like a motorist has to be. Don't zig zag up the highway and use the shoulder. Cars can't, why should you?

When you make the decision to become a biker, whether you like it or not, most of the responsibility rests on your shoulders. You're seasonal occupants of the road and very vulnerable which means it's up to you to adjust to the roadways every bit as much as the motorists who use the roads every day.

You have to be more careful, cautious and courteous; you can't expect people to instantly adjust their driving habits to you. Keep your distance and do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

For many, riding a bike is recreation more than its necessitation and too often that leads to trouble.

Donny, I love ya, and I want you to be safe on the road all summer, like I do all bikers, but again buddy, this is a two way street, and I think it might be more productive to issue a warning to other bikers long before I point at cars.

And please, lets do something about those loud exhaust systems.

Category: Friends | Stuff

Permalink Discuss

Think About It Canada

March 23, 2011 @ 17:07

\

Category: Politics

Permalink Discuss

Cooke, Lumby And Layton

March 23, 2011 @ 08:07

I should have gotten to this earlier, but there really isn't a lot to say about the Matt Cooke suspensions.

The NHL blew it again, at very least he should have received the remainder of the season and "all" of the playoffs. But that's the NHL for you, even when they have an opportunity handed to them on a silver platter to set a clear cut example, they screw it up.

I don't see any need for further analyses because it's all been said. Everything I've read criticizing the suspension is valid.

As far as CanadianThinker.com is concerned, what did come out of this story was another dimension provided by my good friend and sinister Hab fan Jeff Lumby.

Here's what he wrote.

Freddie, Agree with everything you said about Kook...ah Cooke. The point about a few ruining it for others is well taken. Other players need to step up...ex-players really need to step up....MARIO??? Freddie, can you do me a favor though, since you brought it up (and no I don't put a "u" in favor or color, it's stupid), stop saying Chara has no history with suspensions. It's immaterial. So because you have no suspensions the league can't give you your first?? Ridiculous. That fact has no merit in the conversation. By the way, the league stunk the joint out with the Cooke suspension. Wimps.

And here's how I replied.

@Lumby - History has a lot to do with it because, whether right or wrong, its a huge criteria for how the NHL hands down suspensions. Unless its a blatant case of intent to injure, which this wasn't, the NHL has to consider a player's character and history. And that's exactly why you're correct about Matt Cooke. Chara got what he deserved, Cooke didn't.

And one other thing.

The release of the federal budget yesterday reveals why it's time for this country to move on from a minority government.

When the likes of Jack Layton and his broken down irrelevant party is given legitmacy it's time for change.

I think the inevitable election is going to provide some dramatic change in Canada. If we get a Conservative majority, it will provide a stability that we haven't seen in years. If the Conservatives get another minority, I think you'll see Stephen Harper walk and go earn some real money. And if the Liberals get a minority, the country deserves everything it gets.

Category: Politics | Sports | Stuff

Permalink Discuss

What About Us?

March 21, 2011 @ 08:43

You may have noticed I'm a bit of a news junkie, and that's why I spend a lot of my time watching news shows.

I couldn't you a goddamn thing about CSI, no matter what city. I don't watch reality shows and I don't want some of the great stuff on HBO. If I'm not watching a game, I'm watching CNN, The Fox News Channel, MSNBC, W-5 and even some of the nauseating left wing shit that the CBC has to offer.

I've got to tell you folks; Freddie P. was blowin' smoke out his ears yesterday.

Flippin' between the American nets I couldn't believe how rude they were towards Canada's involvement in the international coalition.

It's not what they said that was insulting; it was what they didn't say. I must have heard twenty five references to the coalition yesterday and they might have mentioned Canada half a dozen times. Tops.

I realize when it comes to war Americans like to think they're the cat's ass, but for the so-called reporters at America's so-called news networks to give Canada much less than adequate respect yesterday is appalling.

This is not a shot at America's military. I'm sure uniform wearin' Americans are extremely pleased with Canada's involvement and I'm sure they're well aware of our long and rich history of going to battle with them.

It's the all the other goobers I'm talking about.

The newscasters and commentators who get so wrapped up in self strokin' they're oblivious to everyone else.

They need some education even though it will be tough to swallow. Because if you take the time to analyze all those involved in the coalition, top to bottom, all things considered, Canada has, and always has had, the best soldiers on earth.

Category: Stuff

Permalink Discuss

Carroll Kicks Ass

March 21, 2011 @ 08:33

Nice to see that good guy Bill Carroll is kickin' some major league ass in Los Angeles at KFI, which just happens to be the number one talk radio station in America.

Since joining KFI about a year ago, Carroll has had the length of his show extended and he's been a fill in for veteran LA morning man Bill Handel.

I've always been a big supporter of Carroll's, not only because he's great at what he does, but I've always liked his attitude and it was highlighted in a recent interview he did with LARadio.com.

This is the part that really sticks out for me, and is something all Program Directors, not just talk Program Directors should think about.

What are the differences between Toronto Talk Radio and Los Angeles Talk Radio? "In Canada I probably spent most of my days meeting with program directors telling me that I've got to pull back. Here, I was told I had to push forward. It has taken much of the year to really realize what's actually on my mind and not feel like I will spend four hours a week in meetings."

Category: Radio

Permalink Discuss

Cooke Is A Creep

March 21, 2011 @ 08:25

After this latest assault on a fellow player, Matt Cooke of the Pittsburgh Penguins doesn't need a suspension, he needs an examination.

He needs to be examined by the best the psychiatric field has to offer, because Matt Cooke has moved beyond just being a dirty, slimy back stabbing little prick of a player, he's moved into mental illness territory.

How can there be any other explanation? After what Cooke has committed over the past couple of years, and given what the NHL is currently going through when it comes to head shots, Cooke's blatant shot to the head of the Rangers Ryan McDonagh yesterday makes him the undisputed king of NHL imbeciles.

Cooke has been suspended three times over the past three seasons for illegal hits. He also delivered a hit on Boston's Marc Savard in March of last year that resulted in a severe concussion and prompted the NHL to adopt a new rule that bans blindside hits to the head.

So this is it, it's time for the NHL to step up and show that they're genuinely serious about the rash of head injuries. They should consider this skunk's pathetic recent history and suspend him for the rest of the season and the playoffs - and maybe a few games into next year.

Hell, given his recent history and total disregard for his fellow workers, they should consider throwing him out of the league for good, but anything short of the remainder of this season and the playoffs will be a joke.

And it should go beyond the league. How ironic that Mario Lemieux yapped about head shots in the league just a few short weeks ago when he employs public enemy number one. Nice try at diversion Mario.

Cooke's teammates should show some class as well. Yes, it's a fast, hard hitting competitive game, but Cooke has crossed the line too many times and even the Pittsburgh Penguins should be disgusted at this latest incident, and while we're at it, its time for the rest of the players in the NHL to speak up and indentify the handful of idiots who are putting negative pressure on the league and affecting the over-all product.

To support Matt Cooke going forward as teammate or a workmate will do nothing but put a deeper blemish on the league.

I'm sure there are those who will want to compare this to the Zdeno Chara incident (Hab fans) but that's ridiculous.

Chara has no history and that hit was of completely different circumstances. In this latest assault by Cooke, he charged at Callahan and then deliberately raised his elbow.

It was calculated, it was disgusting, it was dirty and it was his fourth offence in a relatively short period of time? What else does the NHL need to make a statement?

As for Cooke, I stand by my opening statement. For him to do this again, given the current atmoshpere, the man (?) needs professional help.

Category: Sports

Permalink Discuss

Today With Craig And Matt

March 16, 2011 @ 08:05

Political backlash, Ron Wilson, MLSE.

Category: Radio

Permalink Discuss

It's Over

March 15, 2011 @ 07:45

I received a message on my Facebook page from Freeway Frank last night. All it said was fooooooooooooooooore.

I get it. It's an old and tired line, and I hope he updates his act before becoming morning man at Virgin Radio in Montreal, but what he's referring to is the Leafs. Their goofy little run at a playoff spot came to an end last night with a 6-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Before I get to the Leafs, let me say this. Despite the sparring back and forth with the likes of Frank and other aggravating Hab fans this year, I really am impressed with what the Canadiens have done this year. I didn't expect it going into the season, and it only became more impressive as the season went along and they maintained their excellent play despite some key injuries.

You look at their roster and you scratch your. How did that lineup provide those results?

Well, I think the answer is coaching and to my mind it exposes the biggest gap between the Leafs and Habs. Yes, the Habs have better players than the Leafs, but not that much better. As the season draws to a close I think it's safe to say Jacques Martin got a lot more out of his players than Ron Wilson got out of his.

During the Leafs half decent run since the all-star break the point was made several times in the media that Wilson had probably earned a new contract. We can only hope that's not true.

If this season has proved anything, it's that Ron Wilson is not the coach for this team. As Brian Burke improves the roster, the same can't be said about key coaching elements like the power play, penalty killing and blatant give-aways which are usually tied to a loose system.

Over the past week or so, when the pressure was the Leafs to elevate their game even more and reach for the reachable, they've lost four of their last five. Obviously, other than the Buffalo game, they weren't ready to play, and that too can be tied to coaching.

Ron Wilson gave it a shot, but I think we can safely say, he failed. It's time to move on and Brian Burke should not only continue to build the roster, he should continue to build the coaching staff and the next move should be the main man.

But back to the Habs for a second. They've played very well this year, but I'm hoping this aggravation will end in the playoffs. They're small and soft and understaffed and should be handled quite easily in a playoff atmosphere.

With any luck, the Habs should end up in the tee-box right behind the Leafs and the Montreal Cup drought will reach 18 seasons.

I realize it's not 44, but its still a long time. Long enough to shut-up the goof balls.

Category: Sports

Permalink Discuss

Neighbour John Is Orb'ed

March 14, 2011 @ 17:44

Hey Fred,
What would Psychic Nikki say about this, the picture was taken last night (March 13, 2011) at about 10.00 pm, we lost the game and were the only ones on the ice.
My son Jake took two pictures (second picture just in case!) and there was nobody else taking a picture at the same time, crowd had left.
Orbs are believed (by many) to be ghosts in the form of balls of light. They are life forms that travel in groups and are believed to be the human soul or life force of those that once inhabited a physical body here on earth
Do you Believe?