Blog Comments Blog Archives About Me Radio Gems The Trailer Links Contact

October 2008 Archives

« September 2008 | | November 2008 »

Page 2 of 6

State Championship

October 24, 2008 @ 08:01

This is the itinerary for our weekend trip to Michigan as compiled by my friend Darren.

Michigan Road Trip 2008

STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Michigan vs. Michigan State

Schedule
Friday October 24th:
( Approximate times )

11:00 am - Depart from Mississauga/Brampton
4:00 pm - Arrive at Joe Louis Arena - Shuttle to Carl's Chophouse
7:30 pm - Detroit Red Wings vs. Atlanta Thrashers
10:30 pm - Depart for Ann Arbour
11:15 pm -Check in - Red Roof Inn

Saturday October 25th :
( Approximate times )

9:00 am -Breakfast and morning jaunt to downtown, Ann Arbor.
Noon - Lunch and pre-game tune up at hotel.
-Shuttle to stadium
3:30 pm -Kick-Off: NCAA Football-ESPN Game Day
Michigan Wolverines vs. Michigan State Spartans.
6:30 pm -Shuttle to hotel ( TBC )
-Dinner TBC
-Evening TBC

Sunday October 26th :
( Approximate times )

10:00 am - Depart from Ann Arbor
11:00 am - Arrive-Ford Field.
- Park - Restaurant for lunch
1:00 pm - Detroit Lions vs.Washington Redskins
4:00 pm - Depart Home
8:00 pm - Arrive Mississauga/Brampton

Category: Friends

Permalink Discuss

Twenty Six Percent More

October 23, 2008 @ 08:16

I'm happy for Neighbour John. He runs a manufacturing company that does almost all of its business in the United States.

With the Canadian dollar dropping below 80 cents, John is a very happy man these days. Over the past couple of months, he got a 20 percent raise. How many people can say that?

Of course John would counter with this. During the brief moment in time that the Canadian dollar was strong, he wasn't so happy. Like many Canadian manufacturers, it put a lot of pressure on his business from top to bottom.

I like to think of Neighbour John and people like him whenever I get pissed off about the dollar. It makes me feel better.

Tomorrow morning I'm leaving on my third annual sports trip to Michigan and although it's only for two days, I 'm still not thrilled about paying $1.26 for an American dollar.

Thank goodness all our tickets were purchased when the dollar was in the upper 90's, so that makes it even easier, but all of a sudden a quick trip across the border will cost 26 percent more than it would have a month ago.

I've guess we've been spoiled over the past couple of years. With a dollar floating around par, it made trips to the United States a lot more enjoyable. Especially when you consider that besides smokes and booze and "some" clothing, prices in the States didn't seem to differ much from Canada.

Definitely not food - groceries or restaurants.

I admit, I'll probably only spend a couple of hundred bucks in Michigan this weekend, but that instantly means $250.00, and I don't know about you, but I don't like having 50 bucks disappear into thin air. Not only that, but a $240.00 dollar hotel bill will turn into almost three hundred.

Here's the deal. This trip was planned a few months ago, so we're on the hook to go. But honestly, if the dollar had been worth 79 cents when we were planning it, I probably would have declined, on principle. And it will definately make me rethink a planned trip to Florida in the spring.

It lets you appreciate how the United States will probably suffer over the next few months from a tourism standpoint. How many Canadians planning extended trips will decide to stay home? Lots.

But I go back to my original point. Guys like Neighbour John are happy today, and so is the Canadian tourism industry, and when you get right down to it, that's way more important than my trip to Michigan.

I think I'll check out Newfoundland in the spring.

Category: Stuff

Permalink Discuss

I Guess I'm An Atheist

October 23, 2008 @ 08:02

Are the Canadiens a religion?

Category: Sports

Permalink Discuss

The New Canada

October 22, 2008 @ 19:43

Candidate accused of being 'traitor to Islam'

Category: Politics

Permalink Discuss

It's Stephen Harper's Fault

October 22, 2008 @ 16:36

TORONTO - Ontario's Liberal government downgraded its growth forecasts, cut some spending commitments and will run a $500 million deficit in 2009, Finance Minister Dwight Duncan said Wednesday.

The fall economic statement, designed to update projections contained in the March budget, shows the province is faring much worse than initially thought.

Revenues will be nearly $1-billion lower than projected seven months ago, and the 1.1% growth rate has been slashed to 0.1%.

The deficit represents a broken campaign pledge for the Dalton McGuinty-led Liberals, who promised balanced budgets while in office.

The Liberals made a similar promise in 2003, then subsequently introduced a $2.6-billion health tax and ran deficits for two consecutive years.

Category: Politics

Permalink Discuss

Today With Craig And Matt

October 22, 2008 @ 12:06

Auto merger and David Frost.

Category: Radio

Permalink Discuss

Today With Curtis Bray

October 22, 2008 @ 12:05

The Leafs and Stephane Dion.

Category: Radio

Ain't Gonna Happen

October 22, 2008 @ 12:04

The big sports story yesterday was that nonsense about the NHL board of governors considering another NHL team for Toronto.

It's much ado about nothing.

There's no way MLSE would allow this to happen. At any price.

It all comes down to ego, and there's no way the fellas at MLSE would risk having another team in town that would almost instantly be as good or better than the Maple Leafs.

The story suggests that the "new" team would actually become a tenant of the Air Canada Centre, and that's what would make it attractive to MLSE. They'd make millions off concessions and rent.

But to my mind, that wouldn't be enough. There's no way they'd take the chance of being the second best team in town. It would only underline how incompetent they are.

Yesterday's story suggested this wouldn't necessarily be an expansion team, in fact it would probably be an existing team from a troubled market.

Well have a quick look at the qualifiers, and just about all of them are currently better than the Leafs.

Richard Peddie and Larry Tannenbaum love money, but not that much.

Category: Sports

Permalink Discuss

Time Can Be A Prick

October 22, 2008 @ 12:02

Yesterday while I was running the radio empire that is known as Corus Peterborough I came back to my office and noticed that there was a message on my phone.

I listened to it and on the other end was Humble Howard.

Howard left a message that left me heavy hearted. His sweet 14 year old daughter Charlie has one of those professional job shadowing days coming up and she has no interest in following her daddy to work to watch him do the wiener radio thing.

Instead she'd rather shadow my daughter Melanie who's a producer at MuchMoreMusic.

Howard's message was one of resignation. He knows Charlie has been around radio all her life and on many an occasion has come into work with her dad, so there's really nothing to be learned.

She knows daddy gets paid a lot of money to say stupid things on the air and make funny smells off the air. It became a big yawner about ten years ago.

But that's not the point of this posting.

What struck me about Howard's call was the passage of time. We went through a lot together, and among those things was the raising of our kids. Howard was invited to Melanie's seventh birthday, while I was at the hospital the night Charlie was born.

Where did the time go?

How can Charlie be a stunning 14 year old and how on earth can she be job shadowing my Melanie who's grown into an impressive and successful young woman?

Melanie used to baby sit Charlie for crying out loud, so it's extremely difficult to sit here and imagine that one day in the next few weeks, my daughter, who has a career, will be mentoring Charlie who ain't that bloody far away from a career.

I don't want to think about it.

Category: Family | Friends

Permalink Discuss

Speaking Of Howard

October 22, 2008 @ 12:01

He's currently taping a new television show called "Man Up Canada."

It's all about guys doing odd things that would make women cringe, which explains I guess why Charlie isn't job shadowing dad on this project either.

As Howard explained to me recently, Man Up Canada is a low budget great idea with Men TV as the vehicle and a lot of "hope" as the motivator.

The show is being produced by Redfish Entertainment which includes former CFNY employees Mike Wixson and Kneale Mann.

You know what they say ya buggers, you can't win unless you play.

Category: Television